Friday, August 15, 2008

First day of school!

At our house the first day of school is a BIG deal! We go shopping for first day of school clothes during the summer, I make shaped pancakes for breakfast, I take a million pictures of which my girls kept asking me to stop this year, then we go for ice cream afterwards. This year was a different for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, James is deployed. Then, Austin started middle school!! He was very nervous, and after school was over, he said he was nervous all day long. Unfortunately, he was nervous again today. Yesterday was only the 6th grade, and they did fun things all day. Today is when the 7th and 8th graders join them, and they go to all their classes. We prayed alot these last few days for him to make it to class on time, get his locker open, and make new friends that love Jesus. He rides the bus which just adds to my anxiety. It was very difficult for me to watch him walk to the bus. I really wanted to wait for the bus with him, but I knew I would totally embarrass him. I think I am more nervous about the bus than school because he has a great locker location and a great schedule! I am so proud of him and know he will be successful!

The next couple of pictures are of the girls, and their first day outfits. Notice the difference. Alysse is a beautiful dress, and Ash in shorts and a shirt. I let them pick, and their choices so reflect their personalities!!! If you look closely at Ashlea's shorts, you will have a flashback to the 70s. They are adorable! Alysse, of course, always chooses a gorgeous dress with all the accessories. I should have taken a picture of her shoes. They are Roxys, and I really want a pair!!


I just added this one because I wanted to show off how beautiful our daughters are!

This is them in front of our school sign! This will be our last first day of school at Douglass Valley. :(

Alysse is very excited about her teacher, Miss Boedigheimer! Miss B. (which is what the kids call her) was a student teacher in Alysse's class last year and the daughter of the school secretary. She and Alysse really hit it off last year, so this should be a great year for Alysse!

Ashlea has Mrs. Smith who is a remarkable teacher! I had the privilege of working with her last year when I subbed. She taught at the other elementary school on base that was closed this past summer, and I am so excited that she is at DVE and teaching Ashlea!

I wish I could have snuck into the middle school and taken pictures of Austin, but I am smart enough to know we are getting into the parent embarrasses me stage. All the kids had a wonderful day, and I think this year is going to be a great one!

James update - I have been able to talk to him twice. He called from Turkey yesterday and from Kyrkyzstan (I am sure I spelled that wrong). He had a welcoming party in Germany. I e-mailed our friends who just moved there, and they e-mailed back and said not only were they there but also 2 other chaplains that James knows. He is very tired and still not to his destination. He will be leaving soon for Bagram, and then he will wait there until they can find some form of transportation to Kabul. Pray that it is not a convoy!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I see so much of James in Austin..it's so cool...Austin is handsome! I am proud of you Austin..what a fine young man you are ..work hard,,love JESUS!
Alysee..I love it that you are "Girlie"..love it! My Mom has always said you will be "Miss America"..I believe her. You make me proud. How beautiful and wonderful you are!
Ashlea, my little darling..you looked so adorable...you are just so gorgeous and such a sweetie. You are growing so much. You I could squeeze till you begged to be turned loose.
We miss all of you. I know James will cry when he sees his babies..boy..it choked me also. Wendy..the children look so happy..I know you are making their days as wonderful as only a Mom can. I'm glad you're my Grandchildren's Mom. You work hard at it, it shows. Praying for all of you! Love and kisses to you all. Missing you.
Blessings!